Maharashtra State - Health Status
India > Maharashtra > Health Status >
NATIONAL ANTI-MALARIA PROGRAMME (NAMP)
The National Malaria Control Programme was
implemented in the State from 1953 to 1958. With the success achieved the
programme was converted in to eradication programme from 1958.
However, due to various reasons, there was
increase in the Malaria cases, during the period 1964 to 1975. Therefore, a
modified plan of operation was introduced in the year 1977. This has resulted in
the reduction of malaria cases till 1986, after which the cases have again in-
creased. During 1995, there was epidemic in Thane, Nasik and Mumbai, following
this, Govt. of India appointed an expert committee for taking corrective
measures. "Malaria Action Plan 1995" recommended by the Expert
Committee is being implemented in the State.
The programme is monitored by the Joint Director
Of Health Services (Malaria), located at Pune.
- To reduce period of
sickness and to prevent deaths due to Malaria
- To maintain industrial and
- To retain the achievements gained so far
- Establishing District Malaria Control Societies
- Fever treatment depot
- Malaria voluntary link worker scheme
- PADA worker scheme
- Insecticide spraying (selective)
- Early case Detection and Prompt Treatment (EDPT)
- Identification of high risk areas
- Biological measures - Guppy fishes
- Insecticide impregnated mosquito nets
- Chemo prophylaxis - Preventive treatment for pregnant mothers
- Anti-Malaria Campaign
World Bank assisted Enhanced Malaria Control Project
In the State, 14 tribal districts and Navi Mumbai Corporation are identified for implementation of
the project. District Malaria Control Societies have been established.
- Early Detection and Prompt Treatment. (EDPT)
- Selective Vector Control.
- Residual Insecticide Spray in selected villages.
- Anti Larval Measures
- Personal protection methods.
Under the scheme 1,77,646 mosquito nets impregnated with insecticide have been distributed in
The pregnant mothers are given prophylactic treatment for Malaria in the high risk area.
- Training to Health Personnel.
- Inputs ego vehicles, equipments and diagnostic kits.
Anti Malaria Campaign:
Since last five years, the month of June is celebrated for Anti Malaria campaign. This is to
involve the community in the Anti Malaria measures.
Following messages are given:
- Examination of blood in every case of fever is necessary.
- In case of malaria, radical treatment is must.
- Clean environment will prevent mosquito-breeding places.
- Use of mosquito net for personal protection
- Cooperate health Workers in the spraying activity
- Malaria with headache, vomiting, unconsciousness indicates serious
symptoms, contact hospital immediately.